Thursday, November 16, 2017

#33 - Encounters with Wolves

As we watch the unfolding of this grand mascot reintroduction of wolves into America let's consider the facts - here are just some details of the wolf reintroduction phenomenon - and it's effect on ungulate populations and hunters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are JUST two of the many examples where those that say game is still there .... hunt harder, its hogwash :
Idaho Elk.
Idaho, the Lolo elk herd went from 19000 before wolves to 1000 after wolves. During that huge decline calf to cow ratios were well below what responsible elk biologist call healthy. The science is clear. Responsible wolf biologists tell us that unmanaged wolves will keep suppressed ungulate herds suppressed. Acting like those that have hunted the lolo range "need to hunt harder" is disingenuous.... but, still the wolf pimp party line.
Northern Wisconsin deer herd,
The Northern WI deer herd is at its lowest level in decades. The standard wolf pimp party line is to look at the deer population as a whole verses just the units with saturated wolves. The units of Forest Co tell the story of places with saturated wolves. In Forest Co the 1995 deer harvest was 4658 vs the 2015 harvest of 1146. The standard wolf pimp party lines is that wolves will control CWD & car deer accidents...... which is a complete laugher! They then brag that the 2016 harvest was an increase of "30%". A thinking person knows that you need LOT OF 30% increases to get from 1146 to above 4658. Matter of FACT it would take SIX YEARS of 30 back to back to back increases to do so! Sure, the bad winters took a toll on the deer BUT SO DID WOLVES. It is absolutely absurd to act as if the 1995 harvest in heavily hunted Forest Co of 4658 was "unhealthy" before wolves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


People just don't want to believe that A) Wolves are here (that is that they migrate) and B) That the represent a danger.  Homeless people will be the first to suffer - who will miss them????  Second, outdoor people will have to stop going into the woods alone.

Two examples - both on the East Coast in North Carolina where I'm from.  One was a day hike into the back woods.  I sat alone on a log overlooking a dry river bed.  The time was getting toward dusk. A little voice inside me said it was time to leave but I ignored that voice and ten minutes later I heard them.  Two wolf cries that sounded like sonar beacons triangulating my position.  I'm no coward so when I say these sent chills up my spin it was a real different feeling.  I got up and began to walk away from the area - as I did all my learning on wolves came to mind.  Don't run was the sum of it.  But as I continued I recollected that the wolves were not in sight so I began to jog.  I ran until I came to a fence for cattle and climbed over it.  There on the other side I stopped in the full sunlight of evening.  Looking around me I saw a deer skull which had been chewed on from every angle - it was clear to me that wolves had killed it and that those same wolves were on my track.  I walked back to the opening where the track led back to home.  As I did the woods feel deftly silent..  Even the birds and the small things of the woods were silent.  Taking a few more steps and listening I noted that this was the pregnant pause the is so well known to predicate an attack.  Just then a small chickadee started up and I knew I was safe.  A few more steps and I heard a fight break out between two canines - It was like one canine was mad at the other for starting after me and then calling it quits.  I safely made my way out of the woods and vowed never to return without a weapon.  That was my first encounter with wolves.  

2 comments:

  1. This is such a load of bullshit.
    "A few more steps and I heard a fight break out between two canines - It was like one canine was mad at the other for starting after me and then calling it quits."
    Is that your professional opinion, there? As a biologist? Ecologist? National Geographic explorer?
    It sounds like Danielle Steele got lost in the woods.
    Domestic dogs in the United States are responsible for 4.7 million bites, resulting in 500,000-800,000 hospital visits and 15-20 fatalities per year. Confirmed wolf kills are less than a dozen over decades. Photos of hunters proudly displaying dead wolves sicken me.
    Don't worry Matt. In a few more decades the only animals left on the planet will be plushy ones thanks to idiots like you and your serene little nature walks will be completely safe from predators.
    Except of course, for humans.
    There were 37, 769 violent crimes committed by humans in 2016 in North Carolina. Maybe that's the vicious animal you should be wary of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You try it. Wolves get hungry in winter. Try stalking them and you'll quickly find out who the boss of stalking is. Or just say it simple - never cry wolf.

    ReplyDelete